Boats Tuesday don’t all look alike.

No sailing today for us, after some serious wind for a couple of days, 20 knots in the marina. Today was elected to be replacement of the VHF antenna day. Not so fast was the response from Mother Nature, the sun is not out and it is getting rather chilly out there… Which evidently puts a brutal stop to this idea. Who wants to be suspended for 30 minutes, freezing to replace some piece of equipment we don’t require immediately. Not me!!!

So, we took the time to change the fridge thermostat and tested it, all seems to be good and it cycled a few time without incident. Let’s hope this solved our problem and helped us get closer to one more component of Letitgo. We also discovered some great infos via Koolmann Marine and Frigoboat :all you need to know about your fridge is right at the tip of your finger. The compressor, the control panel and the variable speed module will have no more secret and cold beer forever is yours. Meanwhile, we used this opportunity to change the grill and improve the air flow and accessibility to the compressor as we were at it.

Do the best you can to get to know your boat before you go, they tell you in the book. We are starting to visualize this concept, more and more with every month passing by. All this showed us again that if you depend on every trade out there, you will never leave and you might even get broke before you start! This time around the fix was a $38 part, one visit of the technician would have been easily $100 to diagnostic. Then another $350 to change the control panel and thermostat. So our advice to you ? Take as many classes you can about electric troubleshooting and put your head in the system, you will need it.

Let’s hope that all those electronic manuals and troubleshooting files we are collecting at the moment will come handy at some point. But Murphy’s law, I am sure will dictate the lack of the right one! Well at least we are trying… It’s hard enough when you have a good internet connection to figure it out. So anchored with limited connection and time difference, would mean wait for a few days before you order and pray that the parts arrive for that elusive yacht in transit.

Creatures of comfort we are and the designer respond by providing the space consumer are looking for. On the picture above is the latest Hunter 50: it show its silhouette, the picture flatten the round hull but you still can see the volume they created. Like us y; how is this going to affect sailing? I don’t know, but for sure there is more surface and drag in the water. As you can see we are the Boat yard rats, to our defense though the boat yard  is part of our daily walk, in a way we get our fix the way we can!

End of the months mean updated files for expenses and upgrade. Both are inversely proportionate a good sign that we are on the right track. This month will bring us AIS and Pactor modem. Some more swearing, in the electrical panel for sure.

This leaves us with Island 252th out of 312. Meaning we are 8 behind schedule. About like the pound everybody promise to loose on the 1st of January.

We first heard about this Island, compliment of the report from the race around the world. No worry we have no desire to visit, Bouvet Island was probably discovered on January 1, 1739, by Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier, who commanded the French ships Aigle and Marie. However, the island’s position was not fixed accurately, having been placed eight degrees to the east, and Bouvet did not circumnavigate his discovery, so it remained unknown whether it was an island or part of a continent.

In 1772, Captain James Cook left South Africa on a mission to find the island. However, when arriving at 54°S 11°E, where Bouvet had said he sighted the island, nothing was to be seen. Captain Cook assumed that Bouvet had taken an iceberg for an island, and he abandoned the search.

The island was not sighted again until 1808, when it was seen by James Lindsay, the captain of the Samuel Enderby & Sons whaler Snow Swan. Though he did not land, he was the first to fix the island’s position correctly. Since this deviated greatly from the incorrect position previously recorded for Bouvet, it was initially assumed to be a different island and was named Lindsay Island. Only later was it established that Bouvet and Lindsay must be the same.

Captain Benjamin Morrell of the sealer Wasp claimed to have landed on Bouvet in December 1822 to hunt for seals, but his account is disputed.

On December 10, 1825, Captain Norris, master of the Samuel Enderby & Sons whalers Sprightly and Lively, landed on the island, named it Liverpool Island, and claimed it for the British Crown. Again, it was not known with certainty at the time that this was the same island found previously. He also reported sighting a second island nearby, which he named Thompson Island. No trace of this island now remains. In 1898, the German
Valdivia expedition of Carl Chun visited the island but did not land.

The first extended stay on the island was in 1927, when the Norwegian crew of the ship Norvegia stayed for about a month. The island was claimed for Norway by expedition leader Lars Christensen on 1 December 1927. By a Royal Norwegian Decree of January 23, 1928, Bouvet Island (Bouvetøya in Norwegian) became a Norwegian Territory. The United Kingdom waived its claim in favour of Norway the following year. In 1930 a Norwegian act was passed that made the island a dependent area subject to the sovereignty of the Kingdom (but not a part of the Kingdom).

In 1964, an abandoned lifeboat was discovered on the island although its origin has never been determined. In 1971, Bouvet Island and the adjacent territorial waters were designated a nature reserve. During the 1950s and 1960s, there was some interest from South Africa to establish a weather station, but conditions were deemed to be too hostile. An automated weather station was, however, set up in 1977 by the Norwegians.

On September 22, 1979, a satellite recorded a flash of light (which was later interpreted as having been caused by a nuclear bomb explosion or natural event such as a meteor) in a stretch of the southern Atlantic Ocean between Bouvet Island and Prince Edward Islands. This flash, since dubbed the Vela Incident, is still not completely resolved.

In 1994, the Norwegians constructed a field station – a container building of 36 square metres (388 square feet). On October 19, 2007, the Norwegian Polar Institute announced that the station was no longer visible on satellite photographs. Later investigations indicated that a landslide or ice avalanche swept the building off its foundations. A replacement station is being planned (2009). An unmanned weather station on the island is reportedly still intact.




2 Comment

  1. Just ordered the fixs it book, i like books like that, Lean more. Thanks.

  2. Mister Nigel Calder is the guru and complimented with every PDF we can find on the specific equipment shall do the trick, We hope anyway LOL.

Comments are closed.