Learning to crab and what the swell can do against the tide.

As we arrived late yesterday in Port Angeles we decided to stay there an extra day so that we would have time to “re-provision” (no we are not running out of food….) by then we would be fully ready for the next stop! Our strategy is mainly based on the fact that we don’t want to be stuck in the middle of the straight in mid afternoon when the wind rises to 30 knots like clockwork. We read enough about it to know better!

So what do you do in a “city” that has very little to offer except if you are a Twilight fan? The answer is pretty simple; you just look around at what the locals do. Predominantly they seem to be at the pier fishing and crabbing. To the kids surprise, I have all the tools we need on board, so I decided that learning to crab was a great opportunity. A little observation, and chat with the expert, took the shyness away and I set the trap in the water. While at the grocery store, we had forgotten to purchase chicken legs, so I used smoked bacon, my reasoning behind this was that we would only get the discerning one’s.

Fair enough, in no time we had a couple of 6-7 inches red rock. Though for a while nothing was coming in the trap, so I decided to turn the bacon around a bit and caught more, the issue with bacon, is that it looses the appeal quickly in seawater, well that’s my theory anyway! Meanwhile *V* and I had gone to get bait herring and were back in business, fairly quickly. Knowing that we have on board a pescatorian, one who doesn’t favour so much crabs and *V* who is allergic, *E* came up with the idea of crab cakes. Delicious, a little bit of mint a few crackers and we had 6 nice cakes for dinner. Of course a few shell pieces were left in and the lack of 50% bread crumb like most commercial products, it made them even tastier and rewarding. We will have to try again.

Nobody got sick thank you for your concern, and we were ready to rock by 5.30am to motor the straight of Fucas. The boat had been secure the night prior, and everything organized so we just had to slip away in the pre-dawn.

We were rewarded with our first sun rise, and some major square waves due to the interaction of the left-over ebb tide against the ocean swell, coupled with the topography of the bottom. So for 1.5 hours we learnt how far the auto pilot can go, that our kids can stay in bed in kind of weather, and what we and Letitgo can take.

Best ingredient of all: In July is the fog, and In PNW you need it otherwise no one would ever leave!

We crossed a few cargo ships, impressive in the fog, blowing their horn, to ensure we would see them!

During our crossing up the straight we motored with “Great Shearwater” from Portland, and at one point in the morning medley of the washing machine a breaking wave hit their anchor which flew off taking a 120ft of rode. In other words, another great story to tell the grand-kids around the fire in a few years! On our side, nothing major to report just our sail bag opening up in the midst of all the commotion, which was bringing the first car up and down. Luckily we had set up our jack-line and with a tether the trip was rather mellow. We don’t have and don’t want grand kids, yet, you see!

From then on the ocean swell was with us, with long rhythmic waves and we had an enjoyable ride to our destination: Neah-bay the territory of the Makah Indian. For most Blue water cruisers leaving for offshore, this is also known as the last refuelling and resting place. Fortunately on our side, we don’t have too long to wait for a weather window, so, tomorrow we will add water and our propulsion liquid to get ready for our first family overnight in the ocean. Wish us Luck!

Note that we will be back online by mid week, and we hope we will not have too much to report.

On another hand: Island of the day! There is enough work for me so 4 islands for that ride is my reward. If you would like or want something new to discover : Google seal rock and sail rock for they kept us busy a good 30 minutes with their strange shape and color.